Well hello there!
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite fall recipes. I’ve been cooking a lot lately, and this meal has become a go to for these chilly fall nights.This is also the perfect size for two, making it a great cozy date night recipe!
I’ve been making a big effort to shop locally, so all the produce and the bread were purchased at my local farmers market!
- 1 large zucchini
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 loaf fresh baked bread
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the zucchini and tomato. In a bowl, marinate the zucchini in a splash of olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, and the minced garlic. Salt the tomato slices and leave both the tomato and zucchini to sit while prepping everything else.
- Thinly slice half of the onion. Sauté the onions in a pan with olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Cut or tear the bread into coarse breadcrumbs, enough to cover the vegetable mixture in the pan (I used a little less than half of my round country loaf).
- Prep your pan (I use a ceramic one) with a light coat of olive oil.
- The cooked onion will serve as the bottom layer, so start by spreading them evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- Next layer the tomato and zucchini until the pan is almost full. I try to make it look as good as possible, but after the initial layer I use the remaining zucchini to fill in any holes and try to make it as level as possible so everything cooks evenly.
- Cover the veggies with your coarse bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. You can add more or less cheese depending on your preferences, but I tend to put a little extra.
- Once it looks something like pictured above, pop it in the oven for 45-50 minutes. I like to cook it on the longer side, so the vegetables get really soft and a little soupy, but I’ve also cooked it for closer to 40 minutes with crispier, but still delicious results. Again, it can come down to preference.
Voila! Admittedly, it’s a little hard to serve because it tends to fall apart in a delicious mess, but this recipe is super simple, and super delicious!
I hope you guys enjoy it!