I was going to call this post “Lazy Girl’s Vegan Apple Crisp” but halfway through slicing up all the apples, I realized that it wasn’t exactly a ‘lazy’ recipe. BUT it is really easy and so worth it!
This recipe was adapted from a basic Apple Crisp recipe I found online, with one simple substitution. The recipe calls for butter, and while vegan butter (aka margarine) would make a fine replacement, I went with coconut oil for a more interesting flavor profile. It definitely paid off!
- 10 cups of apple, peeled and sliced (I used a combination of gala and granny smith)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of quick oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, coat apple slices with sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Pour water evenly over the mixture and let sit while you prepare the topping.
- Mix together the oats, brown sugar, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Once evenly combined add melted coconut oil and mix.
- Distribute apple slices evenly in a 9″ x 13″ pan. Cover with crumble mixture and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
I served it with vanilla bean flavored coconut milk ice cream, and it was amazing. It was the perfect way to get into the fall mood, despite the 80 degree weather here in Birmingham.
Thanks so much for reading!